Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Long One...

This is the first election day that i have cared about and participated in. In large part this is because of this class. The knowledge i have gained allows me to feel comfortable going out and exercising my right to vote, where as before i did not feel right in doing so if i wasn't an informed, responsible voter. 

I think this race is going to be exceptionally close, and last a long, long time. I predict that it will be similar to the race between Bush and Gore, and can completely see something dramatic happening that will disrupt the vote count. I base this on the way the election has been going, the way it has been going in the recent weeks, and in large part because of Sandy. 

On the national level, i think Obama will win. I see a lot more radical behavior on that side of the election than from Romney's side, especially recently with his excellent performance post Sandy. People who support Romney support Romney, but in my experience lately, people who support Obama, hate everything NOT Obama and have been doing everything in their power to make that known. Ultimately, though, i could see this kind of behavior being either good or bad, as people, especially those who frequent social media, tend to be greatly displeased with the inclusion of politics on their news feeds. 

I also think Obama will win because of something we discussed in class: Image. I think Romney seems less genuine and i have been hearing lately about how a lot of my peers like some of Romney's views, but that something about him throws them off. I think this ties in with image, and how they picture an ideal president. 

Lastly, I think Obama will win because of the activity i have been seeing in political humor lately. On forums such as SNL, there has been a great amount of comedic sketches that not only mock Romney, but take hits at his political behavior and views. I think that, especially in this time where Obama is being seen acting as a great president by responding quickly and efficiently to the victims of Sandy, Romney can't afford to look less presidential. 

Ultimately, i think it's important for people to vote, but not all people. There is always that line that it doesn't matter who you vote for, as long as you vote, and i tend to disagree with that. I think that people should only vote if they have taken the time to inform themselves about the issues and have formed an opinion from that study. If you don't feel comfortable in your knowledge about the things on your ballot, simply don't vote. I don't see anything wrong with that at all, because just as it is your right to get out and submit your vote, it is your right to not vote as well, and that is up to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment