Monday, November 19, 2012

Republican Evolution


http://whitepeoplemourningromney.tumblr.com/

You can hopefully guess just by the domain name what the site above is comprised of. As a democrat, I don’t want to just twist the knife so let me clarify that honestly, this site could be hilarious while being completely unrelated to Mitt or politics in general. Call me petty, but part of me just likes seeing how overly dramatic people can be, example, one facebook post that reads “Thanks a lot Christians, for not showing up. You disgust me,” there you have it folks, Obama is all the Christians fault. As we all know, the democrats complained through 8 years of G.W.B. (and boy did we complain) and now, republicans feel the same sting, one we will surely all know again regardless of party. There is much more melodramatic gold to be had on this site, some even gets chuckles out of my Republican friends. Yet amidst the pages and pages of cheap shots and low blows that may or may not have amused me for the better part of my anthropology class (I’m not proud) I found this:  
Meghan McCain echo’s the sentiments of many young republicans.


“Times are changing. The face of America is changing and we as Republicans stand at a crossroads. Are we going to accept the changing face of America and change with it? Or are we going to continue to become more isolated and irrelevant? It’s possible to maintain the core values of this party and evolve when it comes to social issues. Quite frankly, I don’t see any other path to success.”

As a more moderate democrat, I think Meghan has addressed a growing problem being, much like this years candidate, at times the Republican Party can seem out of touch with the demographics that are needed to win the election. She says, “We can’t keep going and trying to get white men. They’re dying off. It’s not a demographic anymore.” As one of many white men, I can say confidently that we’re still here, but I hear her point. The fact that none of her article talks about policy speaks to the legitimacy of her party’s ambitions, yet its tendency to, “cannibalize people that diverge from an arbitrary purity test,” cripples their ability to grab the votes of the socially moderate.

“And if we don’t move forward, adapt, and become relevant again, the Republican Party isn’t going to survive. It will just continue to alienate more moderate voters like myself. If I don’t see some changes in the next four years, I’m going to consider registering as an Independent in 2016.”  

-Neal Brower

No comments:

Post a Comment