Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's a race too close to call, yet the media calls it anyways


I took a psychology of media course a few years ago in which I learned about media bias, and I found it fascinating. I figured now, with such a close race, would be a better time than ever to look into some sources that have been accused of bias in the past. I made the prediction that media outlets that have been historically accused of being biased will predict the outcome of the election in favor of the party they typically support. Here’s what I found:
HuffingtonPost (liberal) published an article this morning saying that there was a 91.4% chance that Obama was going to win the election.
FoxNews political analyst Bill Kristol (conservative) predicts that a majority of independent voters will vote for Romney today, which will push him enough ahead of Obama to win the election. 
An article by USAToday (liberal) doesn’t explicitly predict that Obama will win, but it does claim that many trustworthy people are predicting the President will win. 
The Wall Street Journal published a column by Karl Rove (conservative) in which he predicted that Romney will win with at least 279 Electoral College votes. 
Yes, this is definitely a close race, but here’s my question: How in the world are we as citizens supposed to be able to know what to believe in this election when this is the kind of garbage being produced by the media?

2 comments:

  1. What I've learned from mainstream media: Romney/Obama is going to win/lose the election by a slim/landslide margin.-Helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Bill, I like your comment to this. Megan, that is an interesting class, I didn't know it existed! In almost all of my journalism classes, I have been told that the media is unbiased and that there are equal number of Democrats and Republicans in each media source. In my opinion, every news outlet is leaning one way or another. Also in my opinion, there are less conservative media than liberal media: ABC, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, New York Times, Huffington Post, Chicago Tribune = left-leaning; FOX, Washington Post = Conservative. I had read an article once about how these people were so upset that FOX is a right-leaning station. It really irked me because I think it is ok for at least ONE news station to be right-leaning when the rest of them are so clearly left-leaning. Media bias is definitely something that should not be overlooked when it comes to the election.

    ReplyDelete